Sunday, September 28, 2014

And the great paint debate is over...

We have been really busy with the camper rebuild.   The more we worked on it, the more things kept getting pulled out of there.   I am still surprised at how far down we went to make it right.  Pulled off some skin and replaced some damaged wood.  Removed all the paneling, pulled out the kitchen completely and the gutted the main walls.


So with the windows out and the skin off this side, I said "this is a good time to paint"  Being limited on budget, we couldn't buy paint for the whole camper.  So after much debate we decided to paint with spray cans.  We could buy a few and get this side done. Use a brand name and we will be able to match the other side when we have more funds.  So  I started by sanding the skin that was off, then sanding the skin that is left up on this side.  Washed all the skin to remove the sanding dust, paint and any mold.

We are going red and white.  The gloss bright red that we wanted didn't have primer built in. So I primed these pieces first. 

A few weeks ago, I ordered this hand held can sprayer from amazon. It was under five bucks I think and makes using spray cans so much easier.  It was made by Rustoleum as well.  


The white I used and the primer  I used under the red were ultra cover.  The white had built in primer.  In order to get the right red color. I had to use just regular  red gloss Rustoleum. 
  
With the hand held sprayer. It went on well and covered easily.   I chose to change up the pattern only slightly on the front of the camper and added an angle.   I am sure this will not please everyone as I didn't follow the lines of the original manufacture.  But we are the only ones that matter as far as this project goes and I am very pleased with the  result. 


While painting is an obvious change. We did get some behind the scenes improvements this weekend.  We finished the  repairs to floor around the door. Replaced the steps and now we can get in and out of the camper easily again.  

I also worked on curtains.  Here is a sneak peak of some of the curtain material. 

I found all my vintage looking material on ebay. 

The more we work on this camper, the more I love it.  I can not wait until it is ready to roll and we are done.  I am envisioning some great memories that we will make.



Here is previous blogs on the camper rebuild.





No comments:

Post a Comment