Sunday, September 14, 2014

Demolition is a lot of of work!

We have been working on demolition for the last couple of weeks.  This weekend as the weather cooled,  I was able to get  a lot done.  Pulled off most of the paneling.  It was old and damaged and came off in layers and splintered.  I was covered in small splintered wood and sawdust.  In fact today I took three showers and I still feel like I have sawdust all over.

While working on the trailer, my husband and I started considering to pulling out the stove.  The person who sold us the trailer never camped in it. He had purchased it with the thought that he would redo it and never had money or time.  He did think that the previous owner had used the stove top but not the heater.  The gas furnace wasn't even connected.   The stove was rusting and I had planned on painting it.  But with a lot thought and debate, we decided to pull it out and do away with the gas.  We will use an electric double burner with flat cast iron burners.  We will store it away when we aren't using it and increase our counter space.  We also will put a slate cutting board into the counter top to allow the double burner  to sit without worry of burning or damaging the counter.   At least this is the current plan :-)

Our plan.

We did find a door frame and window frame that will need to be replaced, along with some frame around the skylight, but over all, behind the paneling, the wood frame is in good shape.  We discovered that the fridge will not work on the electric mode. Not sure if it works with gas like it should but since we are not keeping the gas stove we will not have gas in the camper. (seems safer anyway) so we will pull the old fridge out.  We actually have a small electric fridge already that we take along with us when we camp with the pop up so we will just put that to use inside the camper.  We discovered that the bathroom has no water hooked up. A newer water line was ran to the kitchen sink but that is the only line.  Oh my gosh, the camper was used as a hunting camp. Oh my gosh they must have used the bathroom behind a tree.  




So we pulled out the stove, sink, counter top, furnace all the paneling and ceiling this week.   We still have a lot of work to do.  Hopefully we will keep up the great work and get to actually start adding to the camper instead of taking away soon.

I am going to work on the couch this week and get the covering on the cushions.  I will post an update on how I tackle that so stray tuned later this week.   Meanwhile,  I am always open to any ideas and suggestions. I am learning as we go.  It is a lot of fun but oh my gosh this is hard work.

Previous blogs on our trailer remodel:
cleaning not-so-glamours-job
This is the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment