Sunday, September 21, 2014

Lots of work this week . Demolition is almost done!

We have been working for the past two weekends on demolition. Oh my gosh, it is dirty hard work.
We pulled almost everything out of the camper. Pulled out the stove, the furnace, the fridge and the hot water heater. They were all gas. We have decided to ditch the gas. The fridge didn't work, the furnace and stove were iffy and full of dead wasp nest.   We already own a small fridge that we will be putting in the camper and a radiating electric heater that works very well.  

We may get some disapproval for not keeping the camper original and in the vintage look.  But we plan to keep this camper for at least ten years and we want to make it the way we want it and the way it will work best for us.  

So here is some photos of how far we have come this week.   I don't think we knew how much work this baby was going to be when we brought her home. But we will know how solid she will be and how good she will be to go.



We discovered that the little vent door that was used for the furnace is the perfect size for our window air unit.  The previous owner put a window air unit into the back window and did not keep it level enough.  It drained out into the camper instead of outside.  Leaving lots of water damage.   Taking a lot of damaged wood out and replacing it with new wood.   We will also have to replace the missing window.  But we are making progress.    

Anytime you tear into something this old, there is no telling what you will find.   But sadly we have found no money or diamond rings here.  


While we have been working on the demolition,  I have had to use some of my creative energy up and I've worked on the couch seating.  If you remember it was the ugly camo covered, nasty, dirty couch.  I cleaned the cushions and recovered them in black material with white polka dots.  I love this material.   I will use more of it for other things along the way.  I got all the materials so far on ebay.  It is the world's shopping center.  Anything is a click away. 

So the cushions were cleaned.  I bought thin paneling, just laid the cushion on the paneling and traced around it.  I cut the paneling out so that it is the bottom of the cushion.  Then cut the material out and stapled it to the bottom of the paneling.  The seat cushion was strait across.  The camper seats (we actually kept those)  are L shaped so I added cushions to the sides of the bottom seat shaped like the L also.  I will add some other red cushions to it and brighten it up.  


I also worked on the curtains this weekend.   I can't wait to get to work to start adding walls and painting the cabinets in the camper.  I am ready to see some adding to instead of demolition. 
Some of the curtain material


Catch up on previous blogs about this remodel:







No comments:

Post a Comment