Sunday, August 24, 2014

Cleaning the not so glamours job

Nothing glamorous going on in the camper redo department.  We have been so busy with such social children and friends, today was the first time I have had a chance to dig into the camper cleaning.

Of my gosh it was gross.  It was used as a deer camp. Visions of hunters coming in from the woods covered in who know what, sitting down on the couch and not even washing their hands filled my imagination. The grim was an inch thick. Black gross grim.


I also wanted to get the cushions real good and clean. I threw away the dirty ugly curtains and cut the cloth off the couch cushions.  While I cut the cloth, dirt and dust was flying.  It was a ugly camo cloth and it was nasty, dusty dirty stuff. 




My first chore was to get the cushions clean.  I did this once before with the cushions from our pop up camper and it worked great so I am using the same technique on these.   I started  covering the foam with  baking soda and letting it set for a couple of hours. Then brush off the baking soda and spaying the foam down with vinegar mix with water. I used just regular white vinegar and mixed it about half water. With a spay bottle I sprayed the foam and let it dry.  I repeated this technique again in a few days after it dried.  This treatment neutralizes any mildew and odor.   
But noting glamours about this chore. 
Going to recover the cushions with black material with big white polka dots.   Can't you see it?



We have for sure some water damage in the wall under the window ac unit. It leaks inside the camper.  I also noticed some of the other paneling is loose and in poor shape. So I spent some time peeling paneling off.  One good discovery. The wiring was replaced sometime not to long ago. It is newer and in good shape. The paneling, not so much.  There is some mold behind the first layer of paneling and so I will be pulling it all off down to the insulation and metal.  The insulation itself is thin.  Going to put a little extra insulation back in. 


We don't have the money to buy it all  or the place to store items for the camper so we will just be buying as we go. This afternoon we went to Lowes and went window shopping for new walls and new ceiling materials.  Where the walls are in sad shape. The floor, (other than around the door) seems to be in good shape. We picked out some wood looking flooring that is neutral. Going to do the walls white. 

The cabinets seem to be sturdy and in good shape. But the handles are the kind that have little plastic tip you pinch to open. It is supposed to keep the door shut, but they don't work anymore.  We haven't figured out what we are doing with those.

I am eager to get new walls up. Impatient is what I am.  Next weekend I will be out of town half the weekend. The other half, well I see more demolition coming then.  I want to twitch my nose and have it done and glamours already! 

Previous blogs about our Fan camper remodel:


No comments:

Post a Comment